The countdown is on to the biggest and most popular event in Tamworth’s calendar as the FREE fireworks spectacular returns with a breath-taking display to light up the skies above the Castle Grounds on Saturday, November 2.
The extravaganza will return with a bang, bringing another great evening of fun for the whole family. This year’s impressive display of fireworks, set to a musical theme of well-known TV theme tunes, will light up the skies above Tamworth at 7pm, with entertainment taking place from 5.30pm.
Entertainment will include the return of the impressive fire performers, a sparkler zone including catering units and a slide, face painting, family activities, artisan food stalls, fun fair and Radio Tamworth will be presenting throughout the evening.
Organised by Tamworth Borough Council’s Arts & Events team, the event has become a firm favourite in the town’s annual calendar of events and has attracted upwards of 25,000 people in recent years. This year is expected to be no exception.
There will also be the opportunity to visit Tamworth Castle after dark, from 3pm to 7pm. No viewing of the fireworks will be possible from inside the castle. Normal admission prices will apply.
Due to the event’s popularity, visitors are asked to plan ahead and be patient when travelling to the event and moving in and out of the main arena.
People are advised to walk or use public transport where possible and to arrive in plenty of time for the fireworks as some footpaths around the area will close during the display for safety reasons.
Visitors are also asked to be patient when entering and leaving the main arena via the signposted exit points and follow instructions from the stewarding team. Entertainment will continue after the main fireworks display for anyone who wants to wait for the crowds to reduce before making the journey home.
To help ease the flow of people exiting the event, visitors are asked to look out for signs and follow instructions from the stewarding team, including:
- People driving to the event are asked to park responsibly and in accordance with traffic orders as enforcement may be carried out by Staffordshire County Council for public safety and traffic flow purposes where vehicles are illegally parked.
- Parking will be free from 5pm at all Tamworth Borough Council car parks. There are plenty located throughout the town centre and near the Castle Grounds. Please note that this does not apply to the car park operated by NCP on the site of the former Gungate Precinct. All council-run cark parks can be viewed on a map here: www.tamworth.gov.uk/car-parks.
- The Tamworth fireworks spectacular is sponsored by Ankerside Shopping Centre which is also offering free parking in the Ankerside multi-storey car park from 6pm. Visitors won’t need to take a ticket from the entry barrier after 6pm - they can drive straight in and then out once the display has finished. The centre will remain open for access to cars via the shops.
- The Namco car park off Riverdrive will be closed between around 6.50pm and 8pm. This is to allow the safe exit of pedestrians leaving the Castle Grounds arena. This means anyone parked in the Namco car park will not be able to leave until around 8pm. The exit road from the Snowdome car park, which leads under Riverdrive and into the Namco car park, will also be closed. Namco car park is for customers only and parking charges will apply.
- This year the main Castle Grounds lower lawn arena and nearby black gates will all be opened up to assist the flow of people, but pedestrians are asked to be patient when waiting to cross bridges and be careful when crossing roads in the area.
- Some roads and footpaths around the Castle Grounds will be closed, or partially closed, for safety reasons during the display and until crowds have dispersed. This includes Riverdrive, Anker Drive and footpaths around ‘the Egg’ roundabout. These closures will take place between 6.50pm and 7.20pm.
A map of the road closures for pedestrians and vehicles can be downloaded from: www.tamworthartsandevents.co.uk/fireworks-extravaganza
Cllr John Chesworth, Tamworth Borough Council’s Cabinet member for Culture and Operational Services, said: “This annual event has become incredibly popular over the years, drawing visitors from near and far for an amazing display of pyrotechnics and entertainment.
“The event has attracted up to 25,000 people in some years and obviously there is quite a lot involved in the logistics of getting everyone in and out safely. The layout this year will help assist with the flow of people, but we do ask visitors to bear with us, follow signs and listen to the stewards when exiting the arena.
“If possible, people are advised to walk or use public transport, but if anyone is driving in, we would remind them that highways and parking regulations do apply and anyone parking illegally could be fined.
“We’re hoping for another successful fireworks extravaganza. I hope lots of families come along to the Castle Grounds and enjoy the celebrations.”
The Tamworth fireworks spectacular is sponsored by Ankerside Shopping Centre.