The Moat House
Standing off Lichfield Street, this multi-gabled Tudor Mansion approached by an avenue of limes stands in peaceful grounds. Built in 1572, this for many years was the seat of the ancient and noble Comberford family whose chantry chapel still exists in the north transept of St. Editha’s Church, today.
When King Charles raised his standard at Nottingham, the Comberfords gave £1000 to the royal cause and the Moat House was the scene of many comings and goings.
Eventually, in the uneasy peace that followed the civic war, William Comberfords nephew, Robert was forced to sell the family property and the Moat House was bought by Thomas Fox, a former captain in the Roundhead army and a bitter enemy of the Comberfords.
The house saw many owners throughout the ages until the 19th century when it was bought by the town physician, Mr Robert Woody for use as a private nursing home for the mentally ill.
In the 20th century it passed to another well-known doctor, Dr Lowson. He offered the house as a gift to the Corporation of Tamworth but the council were worried about the costs to maintain the house. Eventually Dr. Lowson sold the house privately. In the 1960’s the Moat House Tamworth was a Berni Inn for a while famed for its great steaks and liqueur coffees. Today the building stands empty waiting to be brought back to life.