Active Tamworth is important to Tamworth Borough Council to increase participation rates in physical activity.
Health and wellbeing is important to us all enabling us to enjoy a full and active life. Physical activity plays an important role and provides a good foundation for a healthy lifestyle as well as reducing the risk of certain cancers, cardiovascular disease, stroke and type 2 diabetes. However, too few of the residents in Tamworth are active enough to benefit their health and wellbeing. The benefits of physical activity are wider than just impacting on health and wellbeing alone. Walking and cycling are environmentally friendly and can lead to a reduction in traffic, congestion and pollution. The social benefits and interaction of casual participation, joining a group or sports club are also important in developing strong communities, cohesive and inclusive relationships.
Active Tamworth has a number of specific aims. These are to:
- Raise the number of physical activity opportunities and increase the level of participation amongst the population of Tamworth
- Coordinate, inform and the way in which organisations and individuals work
- Identify a number of key principles to increase participation in physical activity
- Inform where future investments should be channelled
- Secure and coordinate the development of physical activity
- Ensure effective delivery and more importantly removal of duplication
- Strategically develop intervention programmes to increase physical activity levels within key target groups to address health inequalities
- Help enable children and young people to migrate seamlessly from education to community sport
- Allow easy access to information for all residents